I knew I should have written this on Friday when it was all still fresh in my mind. I don't think I can do the day justice now. But I will try any way (its now Sunday). Emery and I had a great day on Friday. She is so much fun right now (although difficult at times as well... and very tiring... hehe) Now I don't remember all the details of that day. But this one thing I do.... we drove over to my step-dad's house for a visit. However when we got there, he didn't answer the door nor did he answer his phone. I called his wife thinking he might be with her at her son's rehearsal dinner. She called me back to tell me he would probably be home soon but was supposed to meet her shortly. Well instead of leaving, I decided to stay awhile. I had wanted to take Emery to the park, but after 3 errands, we were running out of time before she needed to nap. So as I looked around the front yard of my childhood home, I thought how it felt like a park and felt so comfortable. So I got Emery out of the car and we hung out on the grass for a little while. With me laying on my tummy and her walking around me and giggling, we had a wonderful time. I told her "this is where your mommy grew up. That her grandma would hang out here all the time during the beautiful spring days. "In fact, if she were here", I told her, "she would be sitting here with us, probably pulling weeds with her cats tip toeing around the yard with us. And we would be drinking our lattes and mochas. I don't believe in peoples spirits hanging around us. So what I'm going to say is not that! But I felt her. Maybe watching us from heaven, I don't know. But I felt so much peace and warmth there in my yard. A peace that I have not felt in a long time. I could have stayed there all day with Emery. I could almost see my mom sitting in her lawn chair, with her legs crossed, drinking iced tea and chatting away about the latest book she read or lifetime movie she watched (in grave detail, I might add...lol). It felt so good. I am grateful for these moments. That my mom can become so real to me again. Its a horrible thought, but after 5 years, I don't remember a lot about her. You know, the day to day stuff. It feels like 50 years. These are the details of her life that I don't remember as I go about my hay. I know the Lord gives us these moments so that her memory stays alive for us and for our children who never had the privilege of knowing her. And my step-dad did end up being home after all! He was in the shower. Thank you Lord for not allowing me to leave, but to bless me with that time I had, sitting in my front yard, with my daughter.

My childhood home... spent many hours out here with my mom!!!
The tree I always climbed in growing up!! mommy and daughter... sweet moments
new shoes on mommy's grass!
hmmmm... should I take the new car for a test drive???
That is awesome Amy...I spent some time in that tree. Haha
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness... yes you did!!! Great memories! ;)
ReplyDeleteI just cried when I read this! What a special time with Emery and remembering your own childhood memories. I soooo wish I could have met your mom before she went home to be with Jesus...she sounds like an amazing woman! She has to be because she raised such a wonderful daughter! :) Love, Lisa
ReplyDelete